High school attended: Empangeni High School
Family: Maria Koen (Mother), Gert Koen (Brother), Gerhard Wagner (Husband), Pauer Family/Wagner (Family in law), Ferreira (Family in law)
Position held at Amanzimtoti High School: Sports Director
Favourite provincial rugby team: Sharks
Mentors: Mom (Maria Koen) & my Principal (Mrs L. Lemmer)
Previous coaching positions: 1st Team Netball – Amanzimtoti High School
Hobbies and Interests: Netball, Reading and Sewing
Favourite holiday destination: Jeffery’s Bay
Favourite meal: Pizza
Quote that you try to live by: “Work hard in silence. Let your success make the noise.”
1. When and how did your love and passion for sport begin?
I grew up next to the netball court while my mother was coaching. I started playing at the age of 7 and I never stopped. Still playing to this day. It is my favourite pastime.
2. Can you give us some highlights of your coaching career?
I have been coaching netball since 2006 while at University. I played for the University of Pretoria and received excellent coaching training from highly respected coaches in Gauteng and in KZN. I completed my Level 2 coaching and I also coached various 1st teams while being involved in the school system.
3. Tell us what goes through your mind as a coach during a very close and tense match?
To always try my best to remain calm and to make sure I take the pressure off my players. To ensure that they understand that doing their best is much more important than winning.
4. How have you managed to keep sport in general “alive” during this challenging Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown?
We do our best to create wellness programmes for the learners and to make sure they understand the importance of exercise during this time.
5. What advice do you have for young and upcoming female sporting coaches?
To always get as much exposure as possible. Always do your best to better yourself and to expand your knowledge. To know that it is okay to start at the bottom and to work your way up. It is the best way to learn and to gain experience.
6. Do you follow Pegasus Publishing on their social media platforms and if so, what do you find sets us apart from all the others?
Yes I do. My favourite part is their personal touch and how well they engage with their followers.
7. Pegasus Publishing has been producing your KZN High Schools Programmes since 2011. What affect and role do you feel this has played with the schools – players and coaching staff in general?
It has made everyone feel part of the KZN Rugby family – no matter how big or small the school is.